by Liz Peterson, Greenheart Travel Summer Intern
Sometimes shifting our spending habits can make all the difference in saving for a trip abroad. Try these simple ways to save on spending and start planning for your next Greenheart Travel adventure one dollar at a time. Got a few tips of your own? Share them with us!
1. Make a pledge to yourself to only go out every other weekend. This includes going to restaurants, bars, or concert venues. Spend this time preparing for your trip by reading, practicing language, or planning fundraising activities. Once you are abroad, you will thank yourself for doing this and have more money to spend!
2. Cut out buying coffee for two months and you will save BIG! A tall cup of coffee at Starbucks is roughly $2.60. If you get coffee every work day, this adds up to a lot of money that could go toward your trip instead. Think about how much you could save over a long period of time if you stick to brewing your own or having coffee that is provided for you at work.
3. Consider your monthly bills. Are there ways you could cut back? Do you find that you aren’t using your unlimited data on your cell phone or watching as much cable as you pay for? See if there are ways for you to reduce monthly payments and save more money. Spend this time instead preparing for your trip and trying to raise money! Every dollar counts.
4. Do you have a friend that constantly inviting you to restaurants and cafes? Suggest a night in where you prepare your own meal and you will be amazed at how much money you save. From transportation to a tip, going out to eat gets extremely expensive. Plus, you’ll have a lot of fun learning how to cook new meals and will enjoy having somebody to share that with.
5. Looking for more ideas? Try these 101 ways to trim your budget.