by Jill Robinson
For those of us who have caught the travel bug and are continuously daydreaming or planning for our next travel experience, it is hard to imagine that there are those that feel an international exchange is not an important part of our global education and contributing factor in realizing a peaceful and tolerant world.
Help spread the word about your support for international exchanges by tweeting your members of Congress this Monday, Dec. 10 to ensure that these incredibly important programs don’t lose funding. Share this with your family and friends to get the message out that we oppose further cuts to non-defense discretionary (NDD) programs.
Leading the effort Dec. 10, is the Coalition for Health Funding and spearheading the push to save exchange programs during this day of action is the Alliance for International and Cultural Exchange. For more information on how the Alliance is playing a key role in supporting cultural exchange programs, you can read their letter to Congressional leadership opposing sequestration and further NDD cuts is available here.
Show your support for funding life-changing opportunities like international exchanges by using the hashtag #NoMoreCuts this Monday, December 10 and make sure to include the Twitter handle of the Members of Congress you are tweeting. Each of these individuals will be notified when you mention them and your message will join hundreds of fellow supporters in their notification feeds.
For a complete list of Members and their twitter handles, please see these House & Senate lists. To find your Members of Congress, enter your zip code here. Below are sample Tweets sent by the Alliance to help craft your message for Monday’s day of action.
With your help, our cultural exchange community can help pave the way for future travelers to have a global education that will directly contribute to a more tolerant society. Thank you for helping to spread the word about the importance of these international programs.
- Leadership, cultural learning, & lang study: #InternationalExchange prepares Americans for global economy, [insert member twitter handle]. #NoMoreCuts!
- #InternationalExchange enhances US natl security & smart power. [insert member twitter handle] make sure there are #NoMoreCuts! #sequester
- A secure #America needs more than #military might! [insert member twitter handle] #NoMoreCuts to #InternationalExchange! #sequester
- #InternationalExchange is an investment in the future, expanding the vision of current & emerging leaders. [insert member twitter handle] #NoMoreCuts!
- #InternationalExchange texchange teaches Americans critical skills and enhances US global competitiveness. [insert member twitter handle] #NoMoreCuts! #sequester
- Discretionary cuts to #InternationalExchange harm the #economy! [insert member twitter handle] say #NoMoreCuts! #sequester
- #Sequestration means an 8.2% cut to #InternationalExchange funding in 2013. [insert member twitter handle] make sure there are #NoMoreCuts!
- Discretionary investments have already been cut by nearly $1.5 trillion. [insert member twitter handle] make sure there are #NoMoreCuts! #sequester
- Remember [insert member twitter handle], over 3000 groups want you to say #NoMoreCuts to discretionary investments! #sequester