Things are going well at Kanchanapesi School where I’m teaching English in Thailand through Greenheart Travel. I went to teacher meetings last Monday and today was the first day of school. I’m a bit nervous about developing activities and lesson plans, but I’m sure it will get easier with time. By next week, I won’t be nervous anymore. It’s a good school, and below are a few humorous observations I have made during my time here so far.
- Where are the napkins? No restaurant or street vendor has napkins!!
- Where is the toilet paper?? OMG! It’s totally hit or miss – you’re lucky to find it!
- Where is the soap?
- Where is the towel or paper towels to dry your hands?
- How many kinds of bananas are there??
- Please give me one more option as to where and when to catch a bus or van to go somewhere – there are only 7 options and there needs to be 10!
- A smile can and will make everything better.
- You will get lost – don’t plan for it – it will happen – and don’t worry about it.
- Even when you think you are speaking perfect Thai – don’t be fooled!! Your tone was off and the words you said mean absolutely nothing to the sweet, wonderful, smiling Thai person that you are attempting to speak to.